Monday, February 26, 2007

Open source Bluetooth?

Just over a year ago, I bought myself a USB Bluetooth dongle from eBay.  It cost £6 from what I can remember, and it certainly has served me well.  The only reason I bought it was because I had my Sony Ericsson K700i, and no way of getting any pictures from it!  I didn't have a data cable, or the software (my boss never gave it to me).  So I had a decision, pay £10 for a data cable for my phone, or buy a USB bluetooth dongle that should work with my phone and my girlfriend's phone, and my mates phones, and any other bluetooth devices I purchase in the future!

So I opted for the dongle.  Bit of an easy decision really.

The Problem

Anywho, the purpose of this post is the software.  The dongle come bundled with the IVT Corp, BlueSoleil software.  It seems quite slow and looks rather cheap, but it works.   It's a bit cumbersome, and tends to be slow at times, but that could very easily be down to the bluetooth system itself.  The other problem I get with it is that sometimes, it fails, or the connection drops just long enough to ball's up my phone management software.  Or all of a sudden, it decides not to work, not to find any more devices, and generally throws a tantrum!

Recently though, I've noticed that my BlueSoleil window displays 'Evaluation (5MB data only)'.  Now that's not good is it?  I might want to transmit an MP3 from my computer to my phone.  There's several MP3's on my old K700 that I DO want on my new v600.  I know i can still transfer phone-2-phone, but what if i wanted to use my PC?  For some reason, bluesoleil has gone all donkey on me, and I don't want to use it anymore!

This is where you come in!

This got me thinking.  Does a good open-source Bluetooth App exist?  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Or am I stuck with BlueSoleil? Is that the best the market can offer?

Please help me out!  Ta muchly!

No comments: