Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I've been 'Off the Grid'...

Over the last week, i've realised how much I really use the web and how it's a part of my life.  I posted several days ago regarding my 'rant at Virgin Media'  And how they're not helpful when it comes to network problems.

Well here's a quick update of what happened with Virgin Media.  Wednesday evening, i had trouble connecting to the net.  It was too late to do anything, so i left it.

Thursday, I tried my net again, and it failed miserably.  I Phoned Virgin, and had no luck what-so-ever.

Friday, I wrote a post about VM.  Friday evening though, H & I went to her mum's for the weekend.  Now obviously, I didn't get much 'net' time there.  I briefly check my emails but that's it.

So Sunday, i came home from Suffolk.  Tried my internet, and it still didn't work. So i got back on the phone.  Long-story short.  I shouted, they apologised and said that as far as they are concerned, there's no problem, even though i didn't have the internet.

So Monday morning, i go to work, looking forward to reading my RSS feeds and checking mail and having a whole web of info at my fingertips... but it wasn't to be.  My work computer had failed...  It wouldn't start, nor would it do anything!

We had this problem 2 weeks ago, so the computer went back to the shop.  Turns out the Power supply had gone bad, and somehow damaged the motherboard too!  Now, we told them to replace the parts.  But in order to do that, they needed to re-install windows.  "As long as you back-up the existing data" i said.   I got a lot of waffle in response.  Basically, i have filld 150GB of my HDD at work and apparantly it'd take half a day to back it up!.  In the end, i told them to install a second 80gb HDD and install windows on that.  So that's what they've done!

But it's not until this morning that i've finally got my PC back.  And i've over looked something!   None of my software is here... D'oh!

I had my work PC set up how i wanted it.  All my programs were here, everything i needed to do my job + my other internet-based activities.  My firefox was setup perfectly.  All my add-ons where there, all my bookmarks, all my greasemonkey scripts... tis all gone now :(

So now im back online at home and at work!  I just have to remember to keep some sort of "list" of programs / addons that i've installed because i cant remember for the life of me what i had previously!   bugger!

No comments: